It’s Sunday morning, which means you’re still lying in bed reading this on your phone in an effort to spend just a few more minutes under the covers. You had a long week and you deserve it. You know what else you deserve? A bomb breakfast that will get this weekend party started!
Don’t scoff at us. We know brussel sprouts have a bad rep, but they are trending like a hipster holding a can of PBR. But unlike PBR, brussel sprouts are rich in nutrients and an amazing source of vitamin C and K… (sorta like a daily dose of us!) 😉 They’re low in fat and sodium but a great source of fiber and potassium! Oh yeah, and they actually taste AH-MAZING.
We just gave you 4 reasons to jump out of bed (reading this definitely gave you at least 3 extra minutes!), grab some sprouts, mushrooms, onions and eggs and start the last day of your weekend right!
Brussels & Mushroom Hash
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely diced
- 1 C shitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ½ t thyme, chopped
- 2 C brussel sprouts, cleaned and thinly sliced
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 eggs
- S & P
- Heat olive oil in medium pan over medium/high heat. Add garlic, let simmer for 1 min. Add the shallots and mushrooms – cook for 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add in thyme and brussel sprouts and sautee for about 5 minutes. Press down on the mixture with a spatula and let sit for 5 minutes. Mix and repeat for another 5 minutes (to caramelize).
- In a separate pan, fry two eggs.
- Once carmelized, turn off heat, add lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the brussel mixture into a small platter or large plate. Place two fried eggs over the top and sprinkle with thyme.