We travel. A LOT. (But you know this already.) If there’s one thing we come head to head with on EVERY trip, it’s FOOD. Sometimes we have enough time to spend an hour googling all of the city’s secret foodie spots. Most times, we don’t. 🙂 Luckily, there are 3 food apps that we’re app-sessed with that help us find local snack hacks no matter where we are!
So, in the spirit of the “vacation month” (August), we’ve whipped up a quick snack hack app list so you never go anywhere on an empty stomach — and only one of them requires prep!
Airports are cool. They have planes, flight attendants, great people-watching etc. You know what isn’t cool? Spending $12 on a smoothie…
We combat airport wallet ripoffs with a little at-home prep, courtesy of the Whole Foods app!
Search “snack” and get a ton of (rockout) results including apple sandwiches w/ granola and peanut butter, black bean hummus, fig & oat bars, and a ton of other treats that are ziplock-bag-friendly!
Here are a few more of our favorite go-to plane snacks:
- Apple w/ a Justin’s peanut butter packet!
- Peppers and Lemon: 1 C chopped bell peppers, juice of 1 lemon, 1/2 C chopped celery & 1 heaping tsp feta
- Trail Mix (either way! 😉 )
CAUGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE:
Hitting the road without a specific destination in mind is one of our favorite adventures — the miles are long, the wind is loud, and the road is never ending. You know what else is never ending? The junk food luring you off the next exit! Stick to healthy snacks on the road with these tips:
- Almost every gas station has a bottle of water and a piece of fruit or trail mix. Grab em when you fill up to tide you over until you hit your destination.
- Road Tripping? Keep an eye out for fresh fruit stands!
- Download the Food Tripping app to find the closest eateries, juice joints, farmers markets, microbreweries and more near you! It connects to your GPS to show you options that are close to you wherever you are, allows your to search for certain types of locations (ie WE NEED COFFE NOW) and lets you keep track of your favorites!
BUSY IN THE CITY
Whether you live in the city or you’re visiting for the first time, the options. are. endless. We know you’re choosing healthy options while eating out on vacation (like salads for lunch and salmon w/ veggies for dinner) — but what happens in between? Slice of pizza, here. Hot dog and soda, there. Not on our watch. Try these big city snack hacks:
- Ever feel like there’s a Starbucks on every corner? Well, you’re right. Use it to your advantage. They sell KIND Bars. Buy lots of them and keep them in your bag for emergencies.
- Every city has grocery stores — run inside and grab some almonds or an apple with peanut butter to tide you over during sight seeing. Make sure you grab a big bottle of water to stay hydrated during a long day 😉
- Give the Clean Plates app a try in LA or NYC and pop into a new restaurant for a midday drink and an appetizer! If you’re looking for something specific, find exactly what you’re looking for with options to sort by cuisine, price, vegetarian friendly, gluten-free, grab-and-go and more! Locate the options around you and stumble upon your new favorite spot!