Somewhere at the end of a rainbow, is a pot of the POUND Girls’ Shepherd’s Pie. Traditionally, Shepherd’s Pie is filled with minced meats and topped with a thick layer of buttery mashed potatoes. Our version replaces the meat with fresh seasonal vegetables, cuts the oils and butter yet tastes equally as yummy. We highly recommend you try this tweaked Irish favorite today (on St. Patty’s Day!) and this weekend while celebrating. #moremalarkey
St. Patrick’s Day Shepherd’s Pie
- 4-5 yukon gold potatoes or 12 fingerling potatoes, peeled
- 5 T ghee
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 C portobello mushrooms, chopped
- ¾ C peas
- ¾ C cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 stalks of fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 stalk rosemary, chopped
- 1 – 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 t Worcestershire sauce
- 1 t lemon juice
- ½ C vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Boil potatoes in salted water until tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, melt 3 Tablespoons of ghee in a large frying pan.
- Sautee the onions, carrots, celery and herbs for about 8 minutes on medium heat.
- Add garlic, mushrooms, peas and tomatoes and sautee until tender (about 2 more minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper – make sure you taste! Add Worcestershire sauce and a half cup of vegetable broth. Cook over low heat for 2 more minutes.
- Mash the potatoes in a bowl with the remaining butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to individual ramekins, spread the mashed potatoes on top.
- Cook for 20 minutes — then let the shenanigans begin!
Happy St. Patty’s Day POUND POSSE!
Leprechauns with Ripstix,
The POUND Girls
Photos by Brita Potenza