12 Feb Tuesday Tweak: Zesty Pesty
Recipe alert! Normal pesto is packed with loads of oil, cheese, sodium, and the store-bought type is brimming with preservatives. We'll skip that, thank you very much!
We’ve come up with a new pesto recipe for your Tuesday Tweak (y’all loved the recipes in last month’s Two Week Tweak so much we thought we’d bring you some more!) Our POUND Girls’ Pesto has half the calories, 1/8th the sodium and sneaks in detoxifying kale, cilantro, jalapeños and the anti-microbial (read: germ-killing) powers of lime and garlic. Win. Win. WIN.
Our ZESTY PESTY is easy to prepare, as well as healthy and tasty (seriously, try it!).
- 2 cups of fresh red or green kale
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (To toast them yourself, brown them up on a pan for 5 mins.)
- 2/3 cup grape seed oil
- 1/4 cup grated Reggianito cheese
- 1 whole jalapeño (remove the seeds first!)
- Juice of 2-3 limes
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
Directions: Combine the kale, cilantro, garlic, pine nuts, cheese, limejuice, and jalapeño in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Add grape seed oil and blend to your desired consistency. Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
Get creative and tweak it even more…
• To make this a dressing or a marinade add more lime juice
• Use on cold kelp noodles, gluten free brown rice pasta, whole grain pasta or zucchini noodles
• Spread on whole grain bagels, bread and buns for burgers and egg sandwiches
Peace, love and Pesto,
The POUND Girls