CHICKEN LETTUCE CUPS
TIME: 25 MINUTES
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 pound ground chicken, turkey or plant based ground meat
3 chinese eggplant, ⅛ chunks (about 3-3 ½ C)
½ C white onion, finely diced
8 ounce can water chestnuts, drained and finely diced
1 tsp minced ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 TBSP miso paste
2 TBSP soy sauce
1 TBSP rice vinegar
1 TBSP sesame oil
1 tsp chili garlic sauce (or regular chili sauce)
⅓ C sliced green onions
1 head of butter or iceberg lettuce
- Prep all ingredients
- Place the eggplant in a bowl and sprinkle with salt, toss (to eliminate water).
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the meat and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes, breaking up the meat with a spatula, until mostly cooked through.
- Add the eggplant and onion to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in water chestnuts, garlic and ginger. Cook for 1 more minute.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the miso paste, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and chilli paste.
- Pour the sauce over the ground chicken and mix to coat evenly. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Sprinkle half of the green onions over the mixture.
- Spoon the chicken into the lettuce leaves, garnish with green onions and serve!
Note: Have leftover chicken? Serve as a bowl the next day with lettuce, rice or potatoes, veggies and ginger dressing.