Can’t figure out what to eat? Have a bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer and a few fruits and vegetables? Perfect, we have a meal for you. You can whip this baby up in 20 minutes and enjoy it with the fam!
Vegetable oil, for frying
½ C white rice flour (or all purpose flour)
2 T Salt + Pepper Spice Mix
24 uncooked prawns or shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails intact (or Tofu (vegan))
2 Eggs whites, lightly beaten
S+P SPICE MIX:
2 teaspoons Chinese 5 spice powder (or any other spice mix! Cajun, adobo, whatever you have)
2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 Mango, julienned
2 Pink Lady Apples, julienned
4 Radishes, julienned
Juice from 1 – 2 limes
1 T rice wine vinegar
1 t fish oil (or sesame oil)
2 T fresh cilantro, chopped
S+P to taste
1. Julienne the mango, pink lady apples and radishes. Don’t know how to Julienne? Check out this video. Don’t have these ingredients? Use cucumber, avocado, nectarines or celery for the same great taste!
2. Combine all slaw ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
3. Combine all S+P Spice Mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
4. Next, fill a large saucepan with an inch of vegetable oil, on medium
5. While oil is heating, combine the flour and 1 T of the Salt + Pepper Spice mix on a large plate.
6. Next, lightly beat the egg whites in a small bowl.
7. Dip the prawns in egg whites and then toss in the flour mixture to coat, transfer to a plate.
8. Test the oil by sprinkling a little flour in, if it sizzles, it’s ready to fry.
9. Deep fry the prawns, in batches, for 1 – 2 minutes or until crisp and cooked through.
10. Sprinkle another Tablespoon of the S+P spice mix to cooked prawns.
11. Divide and transfer the slaw to individual plates and top with fried shrimp.
12. Garnish with Cilantro